Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Introduction in English: My heroes

This is my second post in English. I would like to introduce my non-Scandinavian speaking readers to, what I here call "my heroes", i.e. the persons who inspire me ideologically and philosophically.

My two greatest heroes (in this point of view) are David D. Friedman and Max Stirner. I strongly recommend Friedman's "the Machinery of Freedom" and Stirner's "the Ego and Its Own".

After them, there are Murray Rothbard, who wrote "the Ethics of Liberty", "Power and Market", and "What Has Government Done To Our Money" (and a whole lot of other books, but these tree, I have read and enjoyed). Ludwig von Mises wrote "Human Action", which is good, but it is probably not for the beginner.

Henry Hazlitt wrote "Economics in One Lesson", and George Reisman wrote "Government Against the Economy". Charles Murray has written "What It Means To Be a Libertarian". Robert Nozick wrote "Anarchy, State and Utopia". Frederic Bastiat wrote many good things, I have only read him in Swedish and Norwegian translations, I read the Swedish collection of Bastiat translations, "Det man ser och inte ser" a few years ago. (In English, at least his "The Law" is published.)

There is of course F A Hayek, who wrote "the Road To Serfdom".

All these books have inspired me, and I recommend them, although I do not agree with everything in these books. For one thing, I do not agree with Rothbard's natural law-point of view. I rather agree with Friedman's utilitarian defense of free markets (and I do not claim that the market is free in the Western World), and Stirner's nihilism. It all depends on what you want.

Also, Thomas Sowell is a good economist. His "the Quest For Cosmic Justice" is good.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home